Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Toilet Paper And Septic Tank



We have septic tanks and want to know which toilet paper is the best for septic tanks. Used to be a die hard Charmin user till we had the tanks pumped the first time. Switched to Northern after that and now were told that wasn't good either. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I have seen it listed on packages that the brand is safe for standard septic and sewer systems. Not sure what that exactly means. I have never worried about the brand. I am more careful about oil, grease and strong chemicals in the septic. I realize that you cannot totally remove these things from the system, but, you can limit the introduction to the system. Septic systems work with bacteria that eat whatever goes to the tank. I am careful to not put things into the tank that will kill the bacteria. I use enzyme drain cleaners when I HAVE to use one. I have had 2 septic systems over the last 20 years and have had no problems. Never pumped either (which I am NOT recommending). They should be pumped every few years. Good luck.

a neighbor of mine is a septic contractor and says the same things dragon mentioned. he also said the tank shoud be pumped every five years minimum. hi doesn't charge me so i know it's not a sales pitch. say's the build up of solids and unavoidable grease are the reason.

I having my tank pumped tomorrow. The last time was four years ago. At that time the pumper guy said that Charmin was the worst for a septic tank because it just doesn't break down. I'm having problems now with my washer backing up. I'll check in tomorrow with the prognosis. Hopefully, it is because the tank is full and the field can't handle the large amount of water the washer pumps into it.

ghdflowerpower,
Washing machine waste contains a lot of lint. The lint, plus the soap residue causes many drain line clogs. If you find out that the problem is not the drainfield, try an exzyme drain cleaner such as Draincare. The bacteria cling to organic clogs and eat them in much the same way the septic works. It is safe for septic systems. Takes overnight but does work. Follow label directions including using hot water. Good luck.

We went through the county and got permits for the job two years ago. The guy that did the job was recommended by the county agent. My biggest fear is that the washer water is filling up the septic tank and letting toilet paper and other floaties into the drainfield. Is this possible? We have been bad about putting additives into the system. I will go out and buy some ASAP. Thanks.

if yoru finger goes through it, its good for the tank..lol

Hey Majakdragon,
The septic tank was pumped and it wasn't as bad as I thought. So, like you said, the washer drain pipe must be clogged with lint and such. Now I'm treating the drain pipe for the washer with an enzyme cleaner that I had already called Drain Care. Today is the 4th day of tx and it is a little better. Is there a better way to put this stuff in besides the pipe where the washer discharges?
Thanks

If it is only the washer drain that is causing the problem, thats what you want to clean out. All of your pipes are basically connected together and exit the house via the main line. I think going through the washer drain is the best way to correct the problem. It will not hurt anything if you treat more than one pipe with the Drain care. If you know the location of the main going to the septic, treat the fixture AFTER the washer drain (going away from the main drain)

try using cottenlle, it breaks apart fast, we have been using it for about ten years, and have only had our tank pumped once.

Originally Posted by monikki
We have septic tanks and want to know which toilet paper is the best for septic tanks. Used to be a die hard Charmin user till we had the tanks pumped the first time. Switched to Northern after that and now were told that wasn't good either. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
In the classes I have taken on on-site septic systems the instructor has said that white paper breaks down. Do not use the pretty colored stuff. My wife came from the farm, there they don't flush the paper down, it goes into a separate garbage can that is emptied regularly. I tried the wife's method and it took awhile to get used to but our tank has no scum on top and very little sludge on the bottom. When I was single my tank had enough scum on top that you could walk on it, never did try that though. Also we don't put any food scraps into the system, the plates are scraped clean. If you are having an excessive build up of scum or sludge you might need a larger tank.






Tags: toilet, paper, septic, tank, septic tanks, washer drain, have septic, tank pumped, after that, after that were, after that were told, after that were told that, best septic