Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Airless Paint Sprayers Titan Xt290 Vs Graco Magnum X7



Hello there,
I am new to this, so I will try to ask intelligent questions. I am a serious but financially challenged DIY'er. I am painting my Popcorn ceiling garage, and after trying unsucessfully to cover it with a roller, which immediately caused all the popcorn to fall off the ceiling, I was told you can really either 1. Get rid of the popcorn ceiling (real pain in the a__. Or 2. Paint the popcorn with an airless spray painter.
I chose to purchase an airless spray painter, since I have numerous additional painting projects lined up over the next year+. Since I am a DIY'er, and not a professional painter, I decided between a Graco Magnum X7, (or XR7, whats the diff?) and the Titan xt290. Both fit my budget, and I think the quality I need or want as well. I saw the forums other answers about both brands, but they compared a Graco SR7 and a titan xt330. The titan xt330 is out of my price range.
At any rate, one question I have is whats the better choice between a single piston pump and a double piston pump? I know the double piston pump works with less strain on the motor, thus, longer life span, etc. Is there any other pro's or con's on that issue.
Also, the reviews on both are about the same, with a slight edge to Graco, for their past reputation. The Graco is slightly higher in price, but I can find re-furbished units on both units, which all include repacking and all other normal refurbishing techniques.
So, can anyone give me a major + or - to either unit. Thanks for the help.....Rich

Welcome to the forums!
You should be ok with either one. They're pretty much similar. You might want to check locally and see which one has better part availability although parts should be available for either one, I've not used either unit.
Spraying a degraded popcorn ceiling won't eliminate the possibility of the texture coming down. The wetness and weight of the paint can cause the texture to turn loose although it isn't as apt to happen as it will when using a roller.






Tags: airless, paint, titan, xt290, graco, magnum, piston pump, airless spray, airless spray painter, double piston, double piston pump