Monday, March 10, 2014

is-12kw-generator-enough



I was at a warehouse store and they had a 12kw standby generator for $2500. This price includes the 100amp automatic transfer switch.
Currently, I have 200amp service and I'd like to light up the whole house with it. My issue is that I don't what what is possible or impossible. I guess I need to go back and take a more careful look at the transfer switch.... But I do have a few questions...
The generator itself is a Honeywell 12kw unit. The motor used is the same as the one used in the Generac 14kw units..
Looking at my panel, my AC is hooked to a 240 35amp breaker, dryer is on 240 30amp breaker and well pump is on 240 20amp breaker.. I doubt I'd ever run the dryer during an emergency, unless it's for an extended period of time.
Based on the breakers in the panel, I'd need a 20kw generator to start all 3 (well, ac and dryer) at the same time, but I highly doubt that would ever happen. Plus, I'm assuming the unites don't actually draw (not even during startup) what the breakers are rated for.
The big question is for those with standby generators or know size them...
Will a 12kw unit be enough for my 2500sqf home?
Can I wire the 100amp transfer switch into my current 200amp panel to light up the complete panel?
Thanks!

12,000 watts will be 100 amps at 120 volts.

Your design load would be the A/C, meaning that is the biggest motor load so that it what the generator must support. Check the nameplate on the AC compressor to get the exact electrical specs and let us know the ton rating of the AC system. I'm thinking the 12kW will probably be okay for this air conditioner but it might be close.
The breaker handle values are not really important in this calculation. You need to figure out how many watts of load you want to have powered in an emergency, and the start up surge of the largest motor.
add: I checked Honeywell's website and they only show a 10kW and 15kW unit, do you have a model number for the 12kW? Does this come with the load shedding SYNC switch or a standard transfer switch?

Generally speaking, a generator is to run the required stuff like water, the fridge and the sump pump. You certainly have enough power for that. If you want to run more, the cost of the generator is going to go up quickly. That said, it sounds like you would be able to run most of your house from this one.

My outside AC unit has a model # of H1RD042S06. Looks to be a 13 seer 3.5 ton unit.
The label also has the following:
Unit Supply 208-230V 1PH 60HZ
Compresssor 208-230V 1PH 60HZ 16.5 RLA 95 LRA
Fan Motor 208-230V 1PH 60HZ 1.3 FLA 1/4 HP
Minimum Circuit Ampacity - 21.9
MAX FUSE or MAX CKT. BKR. (HACR TYPE per NEC) - 35
@ibpooks - Honeywell doesn't list this unit and I'm thinking it's because they build/package it specifically for this warehouse store. If you do a google search for honeywell 12kw generator the 1st link that appears (a coupon/discount discussion forum) has some pix taken by someone of the box that shows some specs.
BTW, based on that google search.. the person listed this for the transfer switch Transfer Switch Options:
Complete the generator system with a Honeywell Sync
Transfer Switch™. Utilizing digital load management,
it allows for coverage of two air conditioners without
additional components

Interesting set of questions, as I had the same ones. I just had our service upgraded to 200 amp service to support a new 4 ton A/C unit and ask the inspector about the 12kW, 100 amp generator. I was told that if I wanted to connect it directly to the 200 amp panel, then the generator would have to be rated for 200 amp service. However, we could put in a separate smaller panel wired to a 100 amp circuit breaker in the main 200 amp panel and then run the desired circuits we want the generator to handle from the smaller panel. Currently this is what we are having our electrician do. We won't be able to run everything with the generator, but the important items will be covered.

The generator itself is a Honeywell 12kw unit. The motor used is the same as the one used in the Generac 14kw units..
That would be because it is a Generac manufactured unit private labelled for Honeywell.
Currently, I have 200amp service and I'd like to light up the whole house with it.
I don't see an easy way to do this unless you use a 200 amp service entrance rated transfer switch. Even then, the generator would have to have capacity to handle the calculated load of the house or have a load management feature to shed heavy loads. Based on the square footage of your home, I think you need a little more generator to back up the whole house. This unit would, however, make a good backup for selected circuits.

A 12KW generator for $2500?? Honeywell brand or not, that price seems way too low. Are you sure it's not a refurbished unit? Maybe a discontinued model?

A 12KW generator for $2500?? Honeywell brand or not, that price seems way too low.
Sounds about right to me for a new air cooled residential generator.






Tags: 12kw, generator, enough, transfer switch, 12kw unit, 208-230V 60HZ, generator 2500, whole house, 12KW generator 2500, 12KW generator 2500 Honeywell, 12KW generator 2500 Honeywell brand, 12kw unit motor, 12kw unit motor used