Wednesday, March 12, 2014

can-t-remove-kohler-tub-drain-plug



Hi,
I'm fairly experienced in the plumbing arts, but I'm having trouble removing a Kohler pop-up tub drain. It's different from other pop-ups I've seen. There's no linkage attached directly to the trip lever. The lever/overflow pulls right out. I can't remove the linkage that I see in the overflow pipe.
On the other end, there's a small flat screw in the top of the drain plug itself, but it almost seems to be decorative. It's flat, and unattached to anything. In the hole beneath the screw is the end of a rod, but it's attached securely somehow. Beneath that, the rod ends in a loop that slips over the end of the rocker arm. There's no way to slip it off. Finally, the plug assembly won't turn because there are ribs in the drain hole that prevent it from doing so.
How do I get this out? No help on Kohler's website, and every other site I find only talks about the kind of pop-up I'm familiar with.
Thanks.

Ah, I figured it out. I looked at a second tub that was far less used. There's a phillips head screw under the decorative one. It was just so stripped out on the more used tub that I couldn't recognize it. Now I just need to figure out remove that screw.

Well,
The drain is fixed, but I couldn't remove the linkage. It seems to be one solid L-shaped piece with no chance of removal, short of going into the wall. That's too bad, because I'd love the replace the whole deal with a lift and turn. This is still a new type of pop-up for me. No spring, no linkage. Just a solid bar.

I'm still kind of curious about this. Is this a common style of linkage? I can't find it in any books or websites. It seems clear from playing both with the end of the linkage in the drain and the end at the lever that the linkage is a solid piece. Is the only way to remove this to open the wall?

Hi there and welcome,
You know, Kohler has always been the Cadillac of plumbing fixtures, and has always been the hardest to work on because they are always trying to build a better mousetrap.
I am trying to open the archives in this thing they call my brain and I think I remember a tub waste overflow(drain) as you describe vaguely. If you could take a picture or describe it a little better that would help. It sounds like an older drain... Am I correct?
Most of the new ones now use either the plunger, spring, or cable type.
I will wait for more info if possible.

Sorry I missed your post. I don't have a photo handy, but basically, the linkage running from the overflow area to the drain itself appears to be one solid piece of metal, rather than composed of separate pieces. Except for the screw on piece at the overflow valve where the drain lever attaches. Other that that, there's nothing else to it. Just apparently an L-shaped bar of metal running from the overflow to the drain, so I can't seem to pull it out.

Did anyone ever figure this out? I have the same problem. The overflow has a two prong rod (one longer than the other)....same problem with the drain plug in that the screw is stripped.

I think I have the same drain assembly. I could not remove the stopper, either. However, since the L shape part is flat with no linkage, I could insert the spring snake through the overflow opening to clear the clog. Actually it is easier clearing the clog this way – there is one less corner to deal with.
My drain stopper that we all have trouble removing, however, is worn and very unattractive. Does anyone know where to get a replacement part? I looked on Kohler website but could not find any.

Message title says it all, I hate this Kohler drain plug.
I don't know much about drain types, but it is part of an old bathroom that looks like it was installed in the late 60's/ early 70's. So my guess is yes, this is an older drain type.
I have not been able to get the plug off. If there's a philips head screw underneath the decorative one, It's either so stripped it's now flat or just rusted away.
For my part, I just want to clean the pipes. Every few months it drains slow, and I don't want to keep pouring chemicals down the drain. inserting a spring snake through the overflow opening hasn't been able to fix the problem. maybe this is because it's not fully clogged, just running slowly?
Here are a few pictures I was able to get:
Below: The drain plug with the small flat screw in the top removed.
Below: The drain plug up, showing the the ribs in the drain hole that prevent it from turning, and the Rod that ends in a loop that slips over the end of the rocker arm.
Below: The lever/overflow removed, showing the solid linkage.

Mine looks just like the bottom pic. Ive been snaking, using baking soda/vinegar, plunging for 2 days. I have a bad feeling that the drain itself is clean, but the piece at the bottom of the linkage (that goes up and down to block off the drain) has come loose from the vertical part of the assembly. I have already removed the drain stopper. Can anyone give me any advice I can't afford a plumber, and really do need to take a shower!
Thanks, Mary

This is driving me nuts! I can't, for the life of me, figure out properly remove this drain. If anyone would please shed some light on this, or if you could just tell me how you solved the clogged/ slow drain issue, I would greatly appreciate it!






Tags: remove, kohler, drain, plug, drain plug, always been, been able, Below drain, Below drain plug, deal with