Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Installing A Replacement Rotational Cartridge In A Taco 007 F5 And Pump Size



We have a Taco 007-F5 cast iron pump for hot water heating. This pump makes noise while it pumps the water through out hot water pipes and radiators.
The internal propellor portion is black. Shouldn't this be white? Because when I looked into ordering it, it shows that the propellor (replacement part for cast iron pump) for the cast iron pump is white. Do you think this could be the reason that this pump makes noise?
We purged the air from the pipes as per Taco's instructions and the noise does not seem to be caused by trapped air, but is a localized rattling noise coming from the propellor.
What should I do?

Check that the impeller has not come lose from the shaft and also check for a lump of solder in the pump.

How old is it ?
The impeller bearing might be worn.
You can replace the cartridge, but most people find the entire circulator is not much more than swapping a cartridge.
I like the idea of replacing the cartridge, it can be done in under a minute if the pump has shut off's near it.

The impeller is discolored due to the boiler water this is normal.

Or it cam as black nylon that particular day :-)
Either way it's not the cause of the noise

Is the pump orientation such that the motor is horizontal?

What is the system pressure? It it's low, the pump can cavitate.

Thanks for your help guys!
This pump is mounted in line with a vertically oriented pipe above and below it. So the motor seems to be positioned horizontally (I presume) and the inpellor is rotating in the vertical axis. I didn't find beads of solder in the housing. Everyone says that this cartridge can be switched within the minute. Is it bolted inside the pump then? The pump itsself is 80USD and the replacing cartridge seems to be 60USD, so it almost makes sense to simply purchase the whole pump and take the cartridge out of the pump and keep the housing as a spare. I'm not very techy with electronics and do not prefer to redo wiring etc. The shut off valves are nicely located just above and just below this pump, so not much draining necessary.

The system pressure was around 20psi. But I read that it should be closer to 12psi? At either pressure it makes the noise.
The pump was installed october 2009.

I read that it should be closer to 12psi?
Only when the boiler is cold. 12 is more or less a 'standard' cold pressure.
Since the water expands as it's heated, the pressure will follow...
20 PSI is still OK as a high pressure when the boiler is all the way hot, say 170-180 F.
If the boiler is cold and showing 20 PSI, that would be considered HIGH pressure, because as the system heats it goes higher...

I'm about to replace the impeller in our TACO 007 F5 water pump. Do I need a special tool for this or should I simply pull on the impeller? this impeller seems pretty tight in the pumphousing.
Also, this pump is used to pump water (for heating) through a 1400 Sq-ft home. Is this pump (1/25 HP) big enough?
Thanks.

You mean you the entire cartridge... not just the impeller, right? What is wrong with your current impeller/cartridge??
007-042RP - Taco 007-042RP - Taco Pump Replacement Cartridge TAC007-042RP (for 007CI)
Yes, it may be a bit tight to pull out. I had to pry mine out with a screwdriver, but it was a pump that was sitting around for years.
I have seen a single Taco 007 pump run an entire 2.5 story 6 zone 5700 sq. ft. apartment building

The impeller is part of the cartridge - not meant to be replaced. The replacement cartridge comes with an impeller permanently mounted to its shaft.

Ivan, I've merged your original thread with your new one... there's no need to start a new thread for a continuing discussion of the same problem.

Well. I found this same pump at Home Depot last week (they only had one of them) and had asked my husband to install it. He still hasn't done it and the noise kept driving me crazy. I could not get the cartridge out of the old or new pump, so instead I shut off the main power to the house. Shut off the water to the pump. Opened up the electronic box, disconnected the wiring. Removed that part of the pump and replaced it with the one I just bought (with a white impeller). Connected the wiring to see if it worked and it makes hardly any noise!!! Just a slight higher pitched spinning sound.
Thanks for all your suggestions.
Linda

Good for you Linda! Can you talk to my wife please? I've got a few jobs I'd like her to do...
You had no problem getting the pressure back into the boiler and the air out, etc?

I watched when my husband purged the system last week, first increase pressure, open up the little air valve thingy and open up the water pipe on the bottom of the system until steady flow. This seemed to work, don't hear bubbles anywhere... Also, the water cutoff to this pump is right above the pump, so not much water was lost when replacing this part.
Trooper, good luck getting your wife to do your job! haha

I put in a TACO 007 7 1/2 years ago on a boiler that heats 4 apartments.
Switching from Bell Gossett was the best decision I ever made at that place.
I went thru an expensive Bell Gossett dinosaur pump about every two years at 2 times the expense of the TACO. Having said that, the TACO is now making noise. I have a spare...I do not want to drain the system like I did when I installed the last one in the Spring. I figured TACO's page or YOUTUBE would have videos on replace the cartrage. I found nothing. My plan is to come back to this thread with a link to a video I do after I swap it out.

Ya know, yer right! Not a single YT vid on changing the cartridge out. Plenty showing pumps mounted wrong with the motor pointing down, but none showing a cart change... not even Big Tony the plumber... gotta love that guy!

I do not want to drain the system like I did when I installed the last one in the Spring
Sorry, but unless you have installed isolation valve on both sides of the Taco pump, you will have to drain the system.
As far as replacing the cartridge, no video should be necessary. Remove the four cap screws holding the can on the volute, pull out the cartridge (which includes the impeller), install the new cartridge and gasket, and reassemble. But you may want to install isolation valves while you're at it.
Your Taco pump or cartridge only lasted since last spring? We're aren't only into winter yet. Maybe you should hold up on accolades for Taco.

My Taco lasted since the Spring of 2005. Now it is 2012. 7 1/2 years.
I have a shut of of water before but not after. My plan is to put an oil pan below it and
pretend I am Flash Gordon and just swap it fast. Good to know its so simple to swap out.

TACO 007. There are times I feel really handy and grasp how mechanical things work and then there is this TACO. I cannot grasp this pump. I pulled the cartridge out of my spare TACO 007 f5 and am puzzled. There are magnets in the casing that somehow make the impeller turn. The impeller does not turn freely in the cartridge
so I am thinking the whole cartridge turns in the casing. In my case that too does not turn 100% freely. ( I have not applied 110v power ). In addition , I would expect a bearing somewhere to hold the cartridge in place . I have a 2nd spare I will pull apart today to see if it acts the same.
I tried to load a photo , alas get an exclamation point and an error code.

Try the 'basic uploader', there should be a clicky in the lower right corner of the pop-up box.
You may have to do it twice. The photo uploader is 'buggy'.
Alternately, set up a free account at Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing | Photobucket and upload there. Come back here and place a link to your public album and we can view off-site.

photo try 4. Okay.. now, I bought pumps used for one season was the ebay claim. here is one.
I cannot turn the impeller..it does not spin in the cartridge. Not sure if it should or if the whole cartridge should turn together.

Update. 7 years ago when I bought my 1st TACO 007, I thought it best to have a spare. I bought two pumps used for an alleged 30 days when the system was changed to forced air. Anyway, so it was time to use them and BOTH pumps the impeller takes great force to turn. I sprayed one with lub..the other soaked in hot water. No help.
So I thought maybe with power on they break lose somehow. I hot wired them, only got a humm.
As you may guess... I ordered a NEW cartridge. Both impellers look new as can seen in my photo. Also, in this thread it was asked get an impeller off.. I just pulled and turned counter clockwise and it came off. Its just press fitted. Hope this helps someone else figure these pumps out.

I wonder if it's like leaving gasoline in your lawn mower... go to start in the spring and the carb is all gunked up... maybe the 'stuff' in the water gunked up the works?

okay...NJ ...now you have me thinking I need to grind this cartridge in two.. to see why it failed.
I would like to see if there is a bearing in there I read about..
I have never grasped the concept water lubricated.

i believe the bearings are ceramic, and live at each end.
Either Taco or Grunfos have a hole in the shaft that directs cooling water to the back of the cartridge.
If the impeller is as stuck as you say, even if you get it turning it will be noisy and will fail prematurely.
These cartridges get particularly messed up if they have had water in them and get frozen

Freezing is bad. that would explain everything. if the cartridges contain water, and I bought slightly used ones. They would contain water..I stored them in an unheated garage in Michigan, the cartridges would have been frozen for several months a year for seven years.






Tags: replacement, cartridge, taco, pump, cast iron, cast iron pump, drain system, have spare, iron pump, makes noise